If you’re wondering what constitutes a valid #CodecMomentum or when you can have a #Finisher, here are the core rules and guidance for taking part in our monthly backlog clearing competition.
Standard #CodecMomentum – if you want to clear a game from your pile of shame that’s just taking up room on the shelf or hard drive, then bear in mind the following:
- The game being submitted must have been released in the previous month for which it is being submitted for entry, or earlier.
- The game should be one that the entrant has started at a point in time, put aside, then wants to return to it to complete the game; or has been purchased and remains unplayed for at least the current calendar month.
- A game be will considered complete when the main story portion has been finished – for instance, multiplayer or all side quests completion are not required for #CodecMomentum.
- For multiplayer only games with no story mode, or sports sims that revolve around continuous seasons, completion will be determined as the point when the gamer has logged enough game time to warrant the price of entry – this should be a ratio of a minimum of £2 spent per hour of gaming. For example, if the game costs £20 then #CodecMomentum would be awarded at a minimum of 10 hours of gameplay. Alternatively, the gamer may choose to reach 60% trophy/achievement completion instead.
- #CodecMomentum time periods run from the first to the last day of a single month, and entries can be made at any time in the month.
- Completion must be confirmed via Tweeting a picture of the end game/trophy/achievement/stat screen to @CodecMoments using #CodecMomentum. Alternatively, the screenshot can be posted on the Codec Moments Facebook group, or sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any completion screenshots submitted after midnight in the entrants timezone on the last day of the month will be invalid.
- Failed #CodecMomentum may be reattempted in a later month if the entrant resubmits the form found on the codecmoments.com website.
- Each successful #CodecMomentum will earn the gamer a position on the ranking table, with said position being determined by a cumulative score based on the number of successful previous entries.
- A successful #CodecMomentum is worth 1 point.
- The decision of games accepted into the monthly #CodecMomentum competition is at the discretion of the Codec Moments team, and their decision is final.
#Finishers – should the gamer decide to gamble all or nothing – that is, they aim to 100% complete a game or gain the Platinum trophy/1000 Gamer Score in order to double their prize (should they win) and earn a higher ranking table point score – then a #Finisher must be declared at the point of entry. To qualify as a #Finisher, the entered game must have:
- A platinum trophy or 1000 gamer score, or
- 100% achievement progress tracking on Steam, PSN or Xbox Live, or
- A stats screen that states the game is 100% complete.
- Some games are ineligible as #Finishers, like the Telltale Games Walking Dead series, because gaining the 100% completion only requires the same effort as completing the game. In these instances the entrant can still claim #CodecMomentum.
- The standard measure for #Finisher games is that it contains a trophy/achievement that can be missed or not attained during a single playthrough.
- Failing a #Finisher means the entrant is excluded from the prize draw for that month, even if they have completed enough to warrant #CodecMomentum, and they will receive no point score either.
- A failed #Finisher can be submitted in a following month, though is only eligible for #CodecMomentum after the initial failure.
- A successful #Finisher is worth 5 points for the ranking table.
Episodic Games – given the changing nature of content releasing, there are some specific notes for episodic titles, such as Minecraft: Story Mode or HITMAN.
- Episodic titles are all eligible for #CodecMomentum, though the full and final release of all parts constitutes the game as a whole, and as such, individual episodes cannot be used as #CodecMomentum.
- These games can be submitted as #Finisher, as long as all episodes have been, or are believed to be have been, released. e.g., in the case of the HITMAN, bonus content that was never announced by IO Interactive as part of the full and final game would not need completion to count.
- Episodic games that have no missable trophies/achievements cannot be submitted for #Finisher.
DLC – some titles have significant additional content that come with their own trophy/achievement sets.
- DLC episodes can be submitted for #CodecMomentum, with each DLC being eligible for 1 point.
- No DLC will be eligible for #Finisher status regardless of length of content.
Still interested in taking part? Head over to the submission page now and get that game off your backlog.